Awards and Recognition
Awards and Designations
- Catholic Health has been recognized nationally by Modern Healthcare as among the Best Places to Work in both 2020 and 2019, the only New York State provider so honored.
- Newsday named Catholic Health a Top Workplace on Long Island in both 2018 and 2019.
- All six Catholic Health hospitals are recognized for excellence in stroke care by the American Stroke Association. St. Charles Hospital is named a Get With the Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus facility and St. Francis Hospital, Good Samaritan Hospital, Mercy Hospital, St. Catherine of Siena Hospital and St. Joseph Hospital each garnered Stroke Gold Plus with Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Honors. These awards highlight our hospitals’ shared commitment to providing the most appropriate stroke treatment according to nationally recognized, research-based guidelines. (2021)
- All six Catholic Health hospitals have earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® and are fully accredited.
St. Francis Hospital & Heart Center®
- St. Francis Hospital has been nationally ranked for the fourteenth time by U.S. News & World Report for Cardiology & Heart Surgery (2021-2022) – more times than any other hospital on Long Island in this specialty.
- St. Francis is also ranked nationally by U.S. News in four other adult specialties—Gastroenterology & GI Surgery, Orthopedics, Neurology & Neurosurgery and Geriatrics. (2021-2022)
- U.S. News has recognized St. Francis Hospital as High Performing in three additional adult specialties: Oncology, Pulmonology and Urology. (2021-2022)
- U.S. News has also rated St. Francis as High Performing in 15 common adult procedures and conditions: abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, aortic valve surgery, back surgery (spinal fusion), heart attack, heart bypass surgery, heart failure, colon cancer surgery, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), hip fracture, hip replacement, kidney failure, knee replacement, pneumonia, stroke and transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR). (2021-2022)
- St. Francis is rated among the top 10 hospitals in the region by U.S. News, ranking #6 in New York State and #6 in the New York Metropolitan Area. (2021-2022).
- St. Francis received its 17th “A” grade for safety by the Leapfrog Group (Spring 2021) – the most for any hospital in Nassau County
- The first and only Hospital on Long Island to be rated a Top Hospital by Leapfrog (2019) – among only 6 percent of hospitals in the country.
- St. Francis has received a 5-Star rating for patient satisfaction from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for the second time in a row. (May 2021)
- St. Francis Hospital & Heart Center® was awarded the Emergency Nursing Association (ENA) Lantern Award, which recognizes emergency departments for demonstrating exceptional performance in leadership, practice, education, advocacy and research. (2021)
- St. Francis Hospital has earned Magnet designation for nursing excellence four times in a row, the only hospital in Nassau County to hold that honor so consistently. (2020)
- St. Francis received two top Press Ganey awards for Patient Satisfaction in 2019 for Inpatient Care and Outpatient Services.
- St. Francis received the 2020 American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®- Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award for both Stroke and Heart Failure, as well as the Target: Stroke Elite Award. Additionally, St. Francis made the Association’s Honor Rolls for Heart Failure and for the first time in a new category Type 2 Diabetes.
- St. Francis Hospital & Heart Center earned the 2021 Women’s Choice Award for the following:
- Best Mammogram Imaging Center
- Best Hospitals for Heart Care
- Best Hospitals for Bariatric Surgery
- Best Hospitals for Orthopedics
- Best Hospitals for Cancer Care
- Best Hospitals for Stroke Care
- Best Hospitals for Minimally Invasive Surgery
Good Samaritan Hospital
- U.S. News & World Report rated Good Samaritan Hospital as high performing aortic valve surgery, COPD, colon cancer surgery, diabetes, heart attack, heart failure, kidney failure and stroke. (2021-2022)
- Named the Best Hospital in Suffolk County by Long Island Business News readers in 2019.
- LIBN also named Good Samaritan one of the best Emergency Departments in Suffolk County. (2019)
- Good Samaritan has received full accreditation from the Commission on Cancer over six consecutive surveys, spanning a continuous 18 years.
- One of seven hospitals nationwide to receive the Outstanding Achievement Award from the Commission on Cancer for five consecutive surveys, spanning a continuous 15 years.
- Good Samaritan received the American Heart Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award for 2020 as well as the Target: Stroke Elite Award. Additionally, Good Samaritan made the Association’s Target: Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll.
- Good Samaritan is the only hospital on Long Island to be designated a Comprehensive Stroke Center by both the Joint Commission and NYS DOH.
- Good Samaritan is the only Verified Level 2 Trauma Center for both Adults and Pediatrics on the south shore of Long Island, as selected by the American College of Surgeons.
- In 2009, Good Samaritan’s Breast Health Center became the second facility of its kind in New York State to receive a three-year/full accreditation designation from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC). Administered by the American College of Surgeons, NAPBC accreditation is given only to those facilities that have voluntarily committed to provide the highest level of breast care. Reaccredited in 2012, 2015 and again in 2018, Good Samaritan’s center earned the highest scores from the NAPBC for best outcomes in prevention, early detection, treatment and survivorship, as well as for providing individualized supportive services for women at all stages of breast cancer.
- Good Samaritan has been awarded the designation of Antimicrobial Stewardship Center of Excellence by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Designated hospitals have created stewardship programs led by ID-trained physicians and pharmacists that advance science in Antimicrobial Resistance and have achieved standards aligned with evidence-based national guidelines such as the IDSA-SHEA guidelines and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Core Elements. Good Samaritan is one of 101 programs nationwide to have received the designation since the program’s launch in 2017.
- Good Samaritan’s Cardiothoracic Intensive Care unit (CTICU), part of St. Francis Heart Center, has earned the silver-level Beacon Award for Nursing Excellence.
- The International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners® (IBLCE®) and International Lactation Consultant Association® (ILCA®) have recognized Good Samaritan Hospital for excellence in lactation care 10 years in a row. (July 2021)
St. Charles Hospital
- St. Charles has an ‘A’ for safety grade ten times from The Leapfrog Group. The nonprofit organization ranks hospitals nationwide on safety. (Spring 2021)
- Joint Commission Advanced Certification for Disease Specific Program - Total Hip and Total Knee Replacement Programs
- Joint Commission Advanced Certification Disease Specific Program – Stroke
- Joint Commission Advanced Certification Disease Specific Program – Palliative Care
- Recognized by U.S. News as High Performing as high ranking for COPD. (2020-2021)
- CARF (Comprehensive on Integrated Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities) Accreditation for Inpatient and Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation for both adults and Children, Pediatric Rehabilitation Specialty Programs, Brain Injury Specialty Programs, and Stroke Rehabilitation Specialty Programs. (2020)
- Cancer Program Received Commission on Cancer (COC) Accreditation
- Accredited as a Comprehensive Center with Adolescent Qualifications by Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSQIP) of the American College of Surgeons
- St. Charles received all three of Healthgrades’ Women’s Care Specialty Excellence Awards for 2020. St. Charles is the only hospital in NYS to achieve the OBGYN Excellence Award 3 Years in a row, the Labor and Delivery Excellence Award 6 Years in a Row and the 2020 Gynecologic Surgery Excellence Award. (2020)
- St. Charles Hospital received the American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award for 2020, recognizing the hospital’s commitment to ensuring stroke patients receive the most appropriate treatment according to nationally recognized, research-based guidelines based on the latest scientific evidence. Additionally, St. Charles made the Association’s Honor Roll for Type 2 Diabetes.
St. Catherine of Siena Hospital
- St. Catherine is accredited by The Joint Commission, the nation’s largest standards-setting, accrediting body in health care.
- St. Catherine of Siena earned an ‘A’ grade for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group for the second consecutive time. The nonprofit organization that ranks hospitals nationwide on safety. (Spring 2021)
- St. Catherine holds Joint Commission Accreditation for disease-specific care – Stroke.
- St. Catherine holds Joint Commission Advanced Certification for Program Specific Diseases - Palliative Care.
- Recognized by U.S. News as High Performing for COPD, heart failure and kidney failure. (2021-2022)
- Designated a Baby-Friendly® birth facility by Baby-Friendly USA, the first hospital to earn the designation in Suffolk County.
- Designated Bariatric Center of Excellence by The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
- American Heart Association /American Stroke Association Honor Roll recognition for thrombolytic management of acute ischemic stroke
- St. Catherine’s earned Healthgrades’ five-star rating for C-Section Delivery in 2020.
- Designated a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology.
- Accredited by the American College of Radiology in MRI, CT, ultrasound, ultrasound breast, ultrasound-guided breast biopsy, ultrasound vascular, mammography and stereotactic breast biopsy.
- St. Catherine’s Center for Hyperbaric Medicine & Wound Healing has earned the Center of Excellence Award from RestorixHealth, placing it among just 14 facilities nationwide to receive this recognition for Q4-2018.
- St. Catherine of Siena received the American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award for 2020, recognizing the hospital’s commitment to ensuring stroke patients receive the most appropriate treatment according to nationally recognized, research-based guidelines based on the latest scientific evidence. Additionally, St. Catherine made the Association’s Honor Roll for Stroke.
- Outstanding Achievement Award from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer for four consecutive surveys (12 years in a row) and Three-Year Accreditation with Gold-Level Commendation. (2019)
- The Joint Commission's Disease-Specific Certificate for Sepsis Care -- Mercy is the first hospital in NY to Earn Gold Seal (2019)
- U.S. News & World Report rated Mercy Hospital as high performing for COPD and kidney failure. (2021-2022)
- Mercy Medical Center received the American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award for 2020, recognizing the hospital’s commitment to ensuring stroke patients receive the most appropriate treatment according to nationally recognized, research-based guidelines based on the latest scientific evidence. Additionally, Mercy made the Association’s Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Award.
St. Joseph Hospital
- St. Joseph Hospital received the 2020 American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®- Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award for Stroke, as well as the Target: Stroke Elite Award.
- U.S. News & World Report rated St. Joseph Hospital as high performing for heart failure, COPD and kidney failure. (2021-2022)
- Earned the Target Honor Roll Elite Plus Quality Achievement Award from the American Stroke Association (2019).
- Earned three-year accreditation in ultrasound from the American College of Radiology (2019).
- Diabetes Education Center of Excellence as recognized by the American Diabetes Association and the American Association of Diabetes Educators.
- Winner of the 2018 HANYS Pinnacle Award for Quality and Patient Safety for "The Cultural, Clinical and Operational Benefits of Establishing a Robust Safe Patient Handling Program".
- LIBN readers commended Good Samaritan Nursing & Rehabilitation one of the best nursing homes in Suffolk. (2019)
- U.S. News & World Report has ranked St. Catherine of Siena Nursing and Rehabilitation Center a national leader for short-term rehabilitation (2020-21). U.S. News & World Report rated Our Lady of Consolation as High Performing for short-term rehabilitation the past three years in a row.
- Our Lady of Consolation and St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center both made Newsweek’s list of Best Nursing Homes for 2020 and 2021. St. Catherine was named the best nursing home in New York.
- All 3 of Catholic Health’s skilled nursing facilities—Our Lady of Consolation, St. Catherine of Siena, and Good Samaritan Nursing & Rehabilitation—have received 5 stars from CMS for quality measures.
- Our Lady of Consolation was named a Top-Performing Nursing Home by U.S. News & World Report for 2020 and 2021.
- Maryhaven Center of Hope earned a 2020 Pinnacle Award for Quality & Patient Safety from the Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS). The award recognizes and encourages broad dissemination of successful quality improvement and innovative patient safety initiatives.
- Good Shepherd’s leadership was presented with the U.S. Secretary of Defense’s Patriot Award (2018).
- Good Shepherd Hospice was featured in HANYS’s ‘Member Spotlight’ for its bereavement outreach to Hispanic children and their caretakers, a program that won a grant from the New York Life Foundation.
- Catholic Home Care and Good Shepherd Hospice were awarded the 2020 Healthcare Heroes Award presented by NYC Health+Hospitals/Elmhurst for their high commitment to safety and patient care.
- Catholic Home Care received outstanding feedback at the completion of its triennial Joint Commission survey, while earning a place among the HomeCare Elite® top 25% of home health agencies in the nation for 2018.
- Good Shepherd Hospice was featured prominently in an award-winning video produced by the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization, ultimately honored a Gold Circle Award. The video detailed the outstanding level of care staff of Good Shepherd provided to a 9/11 first responder.
Last update: July 27, 2021